Village of BlackEarth
> BC Laws
> BC Trustees
> Education
> Info
> LG Home
> Library
> Medical Facilities
> Meeting Agendas and Minutes
> Property Taxes FAQ
> Public Works Snow
> Alcohol
> Animal
> Assessing
> Building
> General

Our friends:
Village of Black Earth


Frequently Asked Questions about Assessing including how to get property ownership information and what to do if you think your assessment is too high.



What does the Assessor do?

The Assessor places a value on each parcel of taxable real estate and taxable personal property, in accordance with State Laws, on an annual basis.  This value determines what portion of the property tax levy will be your responsibility.



Does the Assessor have special training for the job?

State Law requires all Assessors to be certified by the Department of Revenue.  This certification involves an examination testing the individual's knowledge of appraisal and assessment law administration.  In addition, continuing education in these fields is required to keep certification current.



Where can I get property ownership information?

You may obtain this information from the Access Dane website.  



What is my assessment?

You may obtain this information from the Access Dane website. 



What is the lot size of a property?

You may be able to obtain this information from the Municipal Clerks office at (608) 767-2563.



Will my assessment increase if I repair and maintain my home?

Normal home repairs and maintenance generally prevent property values from falling and usually do not warrant an increase in the assessment.  Allowing your property to deteriorate, however, could cause its market value to decrease and may eventually by reflected in a lower assessment.



If I change my property, such as finish the basement, will that impact my assessment?

Yes, generally, any change that improves your property, whether you do the work yourself or have an outside firm or contractor do the work, will make a difference in the market value of your property.  Often times, the cost of the project does not equal the value of the change. Many times, people will add a bathroom, or finish a basement, and the cost to the property owner was low, however the increase in value could be higher. The same could be said if someone constructed a swimming pool, and invested a large amount of money to complete the project, the actual increase in value to the property could be much less than the expenditure.  Please note that you will need to obtain a Building Permit for many of these changes.  For more information, please see the Building Inspection/Permits FAQ page. 



What do I do if I think that my assessment is too high?

It is usually a good idea to discuss this with your assessor. They will give you the reasons for your assessment. If you disagree with the assessor, you may appeal your assessment to the Board of Review. State law allows property owners to appeal assessments, but you must fill out an objection form with the Village Clerk, and the request to be heard at Board of Review must be within the time frame allotted, and during the Board's regularly scheduled times. At the Board of Review, you will be required to explain, through sworn oral testimony, the reasons you believe your assessment should be different than what the assessor assigned to the property. The assessor will then defend the assessment on the property and give the reasons for the assessment, and the Board will make an independent decision based on the testimony provided.



What information should I provide to the Assessor, and if I appeal, to the Board of Review?

Recent appraisals and recent sales of the subject property are the best information available.  If there is no sale of the subject property, then sales of comparable properties should be taken into consideration, along with any other information deemed relevant.


Contact: |   JoeMcCoe 2013