Village of BlackEarth
> BC Laws
> BC Trustees
> Education
> Info
> LG Home
> Library
> Medical Facilities
> Meeting Agendas and Minutes
> Property Taxes FAQ
> Public Works Snow
> Alcohol
> Animal
> Assessing
> Building
> General

Our friends:
Village of Black Earth

How to File an Objection

Objection forms can be obtained from the Village office or from the Assessor. The objector is to file a written or oral notice of intent to object with the Village Clerk. A formal objection form must be completed and filed with the clerk of the Board of Review prior to the first two hours of the board's meeting.

A Board of Review operates like a court.  Their function is not one of valuation, but of deciding the validity of the facts presented orally before them.  You or your designated representative may testify concerning your assessment objection.  You must prove that your property is inequitably assessed when compared to the general level of assessment within your tax district. No person shall be allowed to appear before the Board of Review, or to contest the amount of any assessment of real or personal property if they have refused a reasonable written request by certified mail of the assessor to view the property, 70.47(7)(aa), WI Statutes. From the evidence before it, the Board shall determine whether the assessor's valuation is correct.  The Board cannot change any value as fixed by the assessor except upon sworn oral testimony produced for that purpose, or as provided in 70.47 (10), WI Statutes.  The Board shall presume that the assessor's valuation is correct.  That presumption may be rebutted by sufficient evidence showing by the objector that the valuation is incorrect.

Contact: |   JoeMcCoe 2013